This is Superlative: A podcast about watches, the people behind them and the worlds that inspire them. This week, our host and founder of aBlogtoWatch, Ariel Adams, is joined by Jean-Francois Sberro, President of Hublot North America. Ariel opened the show by asking Jean-Francois about his extensive history working with Hublot and the internal dynamics of the brand during its acquisition by LVMH. From there, the two discuss the importance of the North American market to Hublot and delve into a brief history of the brand. After giving a brief overview of the company and how Jean-Claude Biver managed to stay at Hublot long after it was sold to LVMH, Ariel and Jean-Francois reflected on Hublot as a divisive brand in the industry. It’s actually fair to say that Hublot copied Audemars Piguet’s Royal Oak design, but all people draw a comparison between the two watches is the presence of screws on the bezel.
The conversation then centered on Jean-Claude Biver and what it’s like to work for one of the watch industry’s current living legends on a daily basis. Ariel asked Jean-François what he learned while working for Jean-Claude Biver at such an important time in Hublot’s history, and the two discussed how the brand’s bold and pioneering philosophy reflects Jean’s larger-than-life personality. -Claude Biver himself. The conversation then turns to Hublot’s unique marketing approach and how it differs from other brands in the Swiss luxury watch industry, before Ariel concludes the show by asking Jean-Francois about what’s next for Hublot and what we can expect. from the brand in the next few years.
To keep up to date with Jean-Francois Sberreau and Hublot:
- 00:53 — History of Jean-Francois working with Hublot.
- 02:33 — About Hublot at the time it was acquired by LVMH.
- 05:01 — How the two different entities of Hublot and LVMH came together.
- 09:14 — The importance of the North American market to Hublot today.
- 14:18 — A brief history of Hublot watches.
- 19:05 — How Jean-Claude Biver is staying with Hublot after selling the company to LVMH.
- 23:20 — The concept of Hublot as a controversial or divisive brand in the watch industry.
- 28:16 — Did Hublot actually copy the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak design or are people just fixing on the bezel screws?
- 34:23 — What is it like to work for Jean-Claude Biver?
- 48:30 — Things Jean-François learned while working for Jean-Claude Biver.
- 53:14 — Hublot’s unique approach to marketing and how it differs from other Swiss luxury brands.
- 01:02:01 — What is the future of Hublot and what can we expect from the brand in the next few years?
We’d love to hear from you with feedback or suggestions for future show topics or guests. Advertising opportunities are also available. Comment or get in touch [email protected].