This is Superlative: A podcast about watches, the people behind them and the worlds that inspire them. This week, our host and aBlogtoWatch founder Ariel Adams is joined by Michael Pearson, Brand Director of Zodiac Watches. To kick off the show, the two discuss Mike’s time away from the watch industry and how he feels his perspective has changed in the years since he actually started working in it. Ariel then asked Mike about his experience working in the US market, particularly as a non-American, and some popular misconceptions about Americans in general and their business practices. The conversation turns to Mike’s current role, and Ariel asks him about some of the tactics he uses to get people excited about the company he represents. The two discuss what it really means to work hard in the watch industry and why it’s always important to find the right fit at a company where you’re allowed to grow.
After learning the details of Mike’s role at Zodiac and his passion for the watch industry as a whole, Ariel asked Mike about his hopes and dreams for Zodiac and where he would like to see the brand in the future. The two engage in a conversation about the various risks and pitfalls that many watch brands face when trying to move upmarket on price, which eventually leads to a discussion about the perceived importance of value in the watch industry and why Zodiac is able to usurp such. Having Fossil Group as its parent company is a sweet spot. After breaking down the true value of Zodiac watches and their current positions in today’s market, the two looked to the future and asked Mike how Ariel plans to introduce the next generation of collectors to the Zodiac brand. Mike explains why he thinks timepieces should never be so precious that you’re afraid to enjoy them and let your kids play with your watches.
Stay up to date with Mike and Zodiac Watches:
- 01:07 — Having spent some time away from the watch industry, I am coming back with a fresh perspective.
- 11:56 — Working as a non-American in the US market and some popular myths about it.
- 22:06 — Strategies to get people excited about the brand you represent.
- 27:08 — The definition of hard work in the watch industry and the importance of finding the right fit in a company where you can continue to grow.
- 34:24 — Mike’s current role with Zodiac and his passion for the watch industry.
- 40:52 — Where does Mike want to see the Zodiac brand in the future?
- 46:25 — Resisting the urge to inflate prices and the true value of Zodiac watches.
- 56:10 — Introducing the next generation of collectors to Zodiac and why Mike thinks you should let your kids play with your watches.
We’d love to hear from you with feedback or suggestions for future show topics or guests. Advertising opportunities are also available. Comment or get in touch [email protected].