This is Superlative: A podcast about watches, the people behind them and the worlds that inspire them. This week, our host and aBlogtoWatch founder Ariel Adams sits down with Barry Cohen, founder of Luminox Watches and managing partner of Time Concepts LLC. Ariel opened the show by asking Barry about how the pair realized the importance of media in the watch industry early on with Luminox, the brand’s signature tritium tube technology, and how Barry got his watch company. At major retailers like Cabela’s and Sharper Image.
From there, Ariel and Barry dug into the concept of building something exactly how you want it, how Barry focused on original design, and some of his all-time favorite watches he created during his years with Luminox. The conversation then turns to Barry’s recent endeavors with Time Concepts LLC and the inner workings of developing watches for other brands. Additionally, Ariel and Barry discuss how the things we choose to wear often have the ability to influence how we feel, and how watches often relate to our overall perceptions of identity. To round out the presentation, Ariel asked Barry to share a bit about his latest timepiece company, Protech Watches, the core concept behind its products, and what we can expect to see from both Protech and Time Concepts LLC in the future.
Stay up to date with Barry Cohen, ProTech and Time Concepts LLC:
- 01:08 — The importance of media and telling the stories behind watches.
- 02:55 — Starting Luminox and getting into Sharper Image.
- 08:58 — Luminox watches and tritium tube luminescent technology.
- 16:02 — Selling Luminox to the Swiss.
- 18:09 — How Barry first got into the watch industry.
- 24:36 — The concept of building something the way you want it.
- 28:25 — Barry’s personal favorite Luminox designs over the years.
- 34:42 — Barry focused on design.
- 37:01 — Importance of aesthetics in relation to watches.
- 39:09 — Time Concepts LLC and develops watches for other brands.
- 46:08 — How clocks relate to our perceptions of identity.
- 51:39 — About Protec watches and Barry’s latest timepiece endeavors.
We’d love to hear from you with feedback or suggestions for future show topics or guests. Advertising opportunities are also available. Comment or get in touch [email protected].